Thursday, September 3, 2009

Camping Extravaganza

Last week we went on our long-anticipated camping trip for the summer. This year we went to Ohanapecosh near Mt. Rainier. We stayed three nights and had great weather, almost too warm for a campfire! The kids loved it. Joe and the kids went swimming in the Blue Hole at La Wis Wis (those are really their names), it was way too cold for me. Madison and Hayes became Junior Rangers after completing their training at the visitor's center. We drove up to Mt. Rainier's visitor's centers at Paradise and Sunrise, and saw some pretty spectacular views of the Cascades and Mt. Rainier. We took a hike to the Grove of the Patriarchs, some 1000 year old trees in the area. We even ventured into the world of dutch oven cooking for the first time, and were pretty good at it, even if we do say so ourselves.

It was a fun trip, a great place to go. I did learn a lot about the volcanic capabilities of Mt. Rainier and I am torn between fearing a blast which would surely take-out our Seattle home, and secretly just wanting one anyway because it is so fascinating. I do love volcanoes.















2 comments:

Aly said...

That is so gorgeous. I love those Cascades! What a fun trip. I love all of the outdoor things that you guys do. Our camping trip is this weekend. Wish us luck! Although I am not attempting Dutch Oven yet. Maybe next time...

Jessie Lewis said...

Wow, dutch oven cooking. I'm thoroughly impressed.