Monday, January 19, 2009

Sequim (pronounced "Skwim") and Dungeness (like the crab)




It was a sunny day in Seattle. Just as rare as a rainy day in the desert. Joe has a huge test tomorrow for which he has been studying all weekend, and planned on going to school to study for today. He left for the bus stop, and I was kind of depressed because it felt like a holiday and it was sunny, but I did not really know what to do to keep the kids and myself entertained. About ten minutes later Madison said "Dad's here," he came in and we formulated a plan to enjoy the good weather! Don't worry he is studying now, so I think he will still do well on the test.
We took the Kingston Ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula and drove out to Sequim where the Dungeness Natural Wild Life Preserve is and also the home the the largest sand spit (FYI: I hate the words Sequim, Dungeness, and spit so this is kind of hard to write about even though it was a fun trip). The spit is 5.5 miles long with a lighthouse at the end of it. We didn't quite make it out that far, but enjoyed being out on the beach. Madison and Joe went for a walk and found some interesting shells and wildlife. Hayes and I looked for uniquely colored rocks and chased some of the waves. We could see Mt. Baker, the Olympic Mountains and Canada from the beach. It was pretty impressive. We left at sunset and got a nice final view of the water and the mountains.











4 comments:

Aly said...

You guys are doing all kinds of exploring around there. That is so fun. I am so jealous. Since when did you guys become all adventurous? I guess since you don't live in BV where there really isnt much to do, huh?

Steph Ulrich said...

That looks like so much fun! We are going to have to do that!

Melissa said...

I love the pictures you guys took, it looks like a fun place to go exploring, I'm adding it to my list of stuff to do while we live in Seattle! So much to do, so little time!

Stephanie said...

Hey LauriAnn-
We just had Alex over tonight for dinner. He's a good little missionary. I posted a few pictures of him on my blog.