Monday, August 2, 2010

Better than Wildhorse

This last weekend we drove up Yakima-way to attend a funeral for one of Joe's high school friends. Despite the dour circumstances we had a fun time catching up with a lot of friends and family. On the way home, Joe decided to indulge my love of dust and desolation and we turned off the freeway at Baker City, OR, popped in the Johnny Cash CDs and took the scenic route back to the Idaho-Oregon border. We stopped in at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. It was pretty interesting, we saw a lot of covered wagons and taxidermied animals and possibly people (although I think they may have just been mannequins). At the gift shop I bought the CUTEST buffalo cookie cutters. I just love buffalo, I would love to have a pet baby buffalo, but I don't think Joe would go for it. The scenic drive proved to be more scenic than we anticipated, it was a dirt road that followed the Snake River for at least 40 miles. It was beautiful to see part of Hells Canyon, and on the pictures one side of the river is Oregon, the other side is Idaho. We rolled into town late last night, making a final stop at Grandma and Max's house for 1st and 2nd desserts.


























4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have been to that museum when I was in 7th grade, I'm pretty sure that was the first stop on our road trip where we realized Weston had a stomach bug. I will stop there with details, but I don't really remember that place too fondly.

Aly said...

It is so gorgeous there! I don't know if Nate would do that for me. you are lucky! And buffalo cookie cutters? I am SO jealous!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

That picture of you with your kiddos is SO cute! You are gorgeous!!!! Although, I think you are a little wierd that you like dust and dessolation..... I need to take you shopping girl :)

Diana Hulme said...

What a gorgeous detour. :)
About the embroidery, yes, I just embroider straight on the onesie. Maybe it would be more durable with backing, but 1. I don't know much about it and 2. it seems like it would be rough on the baby's chest. I just sketched a design onto a piece of paper, then put it behind the onesie and traced it on lightly with pencil. Then I just refer to the sketch while I'm going.