Sunday, March 28, 2010

Who dat? The French Quarter

I have always wanted to go to New Orleans. This year for Joe's Spring Break we drove down to Boise and dropped the kids off with my parents (thanks Mom!) and flew down to Louisiana. We landed in a downpour (nothing new there for us) and took a cab to our hotel. It was the worst ride I HAVE EVER BEEN ON. It was midnight, you couldn't see because of the rain, and the guy spent most of the time between two lanes (half in one and half in the the other). That is the closest I have ever been to hyperventilating.

The next morning we walked over to the French Quarter. I was expecting the weather to be fairly warm, it is the South, and Seattle had even had great weather this spring. Unfortunately it was pretty cold and windy. But, the French Quarter was great! I loved all the little streets, with the old buildings covered in wrought iron balconies and fences. We saw street performers and bands, little stores and restaurants, and all kinds of bars and Voodoo shops. We did go to the Marie Laveau Voodoo Museum and it was pretty lame (just a bunch of pictures hanging on a wall with blurbs from wikipedia and some Voodoo altars) but we got the gist of it.

We went to St. Louis' Cathedral and it was beautiful, I loved all the statues and stained-glass windows. It was kind of funny to see people in pews praying while tourists were walking up and down the aisles snapping pictures. I am considering becoming Catholic on some of the religious holidays because I like all of the rituals and the cathedrals.

We also saw the Mississippi River and all of the river boats. And, I made Joe pose like Captain Morgan in Pirate's Alley. Don't even get me started on the food...






















































3 comments:

Aly said...

Gorgeous! You have NO idea how jealous Nate and I are. Love the Pirate pose, too.

Stephanie said...

Wow you guys did Spring Break right!

Max Vaterlaus said...

Who Dat??? He Dat!!!