Monday, November 30, 2009

*31*

Saturday was Joe's 31st birthday. He celebrated by going to the Apple Cup with one of his high school friends (UW vs. WSU football game). UW won, so I think he had a good birthday.

I am going to attempt a list of 31 things about Joe, but it will probably be super-controversial so I may regret this in the end.

1. He loves to play college bowl, a sort of trivia competition. This is actually how we met. He is really good at it. I am not.
2. He wears shorts almost everyday of the year. Even if it is cold outside.
3. He gets weird diseases and injuries, like hepatitis E.
4. He is really great at playing with the kids, they love to wrestle and tickle with him.
5. He is one of the hardest people I know to shop for; I dread present-related occasions because of him.
6. He loves to travel and see new things, if he ever has free time he starts planning elaborate road trips.
7. He is disgusted with toothbrushes that have soft bristles, he only likes the hard ones that scrape off pieces of his gums in the process.
8. He loves fantasy sports. He spends weeks planning and practicing his fantasy football draft, recruiting people to his league, and setting things up in general. He loves me so much that he actually will let me, the only girl in the league, participate.
9. He loves playing card games, especially spades, and has a spades night once a month with his med school friends.
10. He hates TV shows like sitcoms or dramas, and only likes to watch sports on TV. The only exceptions being Lost, Prison Break, Top Chef, and The Biggest Loser (where we have both actually teared-up).
11. He HATES/can't eat onions at all. If he bites into one he will throw it up (so he says).
12. He loves to golf, and is always sneaking out in good weather with his friends to a golf course.
13. He is not addicted to video games, and for that I am thankful.
14. He loves to cook and grill, and is really good at improvising in the kitchen.
15. He gets really into intramural sports. Even with his hurt ankle he still manages to dominate in softball, flag football, and volleyball.
16. He is very smart, was valedictorian in college, and has a great memory.
17. He is not a big reader, but does love to do Sudoku.
18. Sometimes he likes to get all dressed-up and take me out to really nice restaurants, even though he would be happy with little cheap restaurants that creep me out.
19. I think his dream career would be a doctor for an NFL or MLB team so he could meet the players and always go to all the games.
20. He seems to attract friends named Eric/Erik. He has at least 4 or 5 that I know of.
21. He has an obsession with the state of Maine, he has never been, but he is convinced that he will love it.
22. He doesn't let me get away with too much (in a good way). If he knows I don't want to do something because I am being lazy or am scared to do it, he makes me do it, which is good.
23. He thinks the worst gift I ever got him was the Sound of Music on DVD. He is probably right.
24. He has a "side of the bed." No matter where we are, he has to have his side of the bed. He even made me sleep on the crappier side of the bed when I was pregnant, and will probably never let that go!
25. He isn't a big fan of anything sweet, but he does love cheesecake, and is always trying to talk me into making chocolate chip cookies.
26. He likes everything to be logical.
27. He does not like the way that I drive, and pretty much never lets me drive if he is in the car.
28. If he does something he always does it well. He is meticulous and likes a good thorough job.
29. For one summer he was addicted to the movie version of Phantom of the Opera. Kind of out of character for him.
30. I don't think that he could ever turn down a plate of ribs.
31. Thanksgiving is his favorite holiday, New Year's is his least favorite.

Wow, I thought a list of 31 things was going to be hard, but it wasn't too bad. Happy Birthday, sweetums, don't expect a new list next year, I think I am out of ideas!

6 comments:

Aly said...

Happy Late Birthday, Joe!! Okay, LauriAnn? The Sound of Music? Really? That is pretty bad. I think nate would have looked at me like I was insane. And Joe...The Phantom of the Opera? I just can't picture it. Great list, though. We miss you guys tons and wished we had such great neighbors and friends still living by us!

Emmers said...

that is SO you LVD.

Joe said...

For the record: I have either had the Sound of Music for 3 or 4 years and still refuse to watch it! And yes, I did, watch and listen to the Phantom of the Opera for a season. I even had the the CD of the soundtrack.

sally said...

I have to agree with Joe on this one, yuck to the Sound of Music. Even as a young child I couldn't handle it. Coming up with 31 things isn't easy but it was really fun getting to know Joe better.

Clare said...

wow thats a lot of things... but sometimes you just have to love the sound of music when thats the only thing mom lets you watch on sundays!!! and LVD is right when she says joe loves to sneak out and play golf.. ba ha ha
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
and p.s the thanksgiving one looked cute to.... maybe we can play top chef again this christmas!
....

Cam and Josie said...

Hey--Happy belated birthday to Joe! What a great list! So are you guys still planning on your trip to come down this way? Which days were you thinking? If I'm not in labor we'd love to see you ; ) Email me your number and we'll chat about days/time/etc....jlgentry@hotmail.com