Monday, September 22, 2008

Anna Karenina

I finally finished Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I thought that it was really well written and the characters were amazing. Tolstoy's attention to detail concerning the motives, thoughts, and emotions of everyone involved in the story fascinated me. The dynamic between Kitty and Levin during their marriage seemed so true to reality. Of course, Anna and Vronsky were the most captivating in the narrative. I did not like the ending as well. Everything after the train incident just seemed anti-climatic, but it did fit with the story, so I guess I cannot really improve on this classic. I thought that it was definitely worth reading if one is willing to put in the time.

1 comment:

Aly said...

Agreed. I loved the tragicness (not a word) of the story and the characters. I thought it was really fascinating how he captured that people really do recognize the consequences of their choices but feel an inevitability about the circumstance that they just can't resist. I thought it was beautiful and insightful and romantic. I don't know if I felt that WHILE I was reading, but after I finished I LOVED it.