Sunday, August 10, 2008

O Pioneers!

It is no secret that I am going through some kind of obsession with the West and "the land." I just finished reading O Pioneers! by Willa Cather and loved it. I have read My Antonia in the past, and I am becoming a Cather fan. The way that she writes about the plains, and man's relationship to the untamed frontiers is so fascinating to me. That tension of obsession and loathing with the environment, one of her greatest protagonists, is poetry to me. If you have not read it, do.

3 comments:

Allison said...

this book is definitely one of my all time favorites! we read this in Reeve's History of the American West class, which began my obsession with the west.

Another book we read in that class that you would probably love is The Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Erlich - it is nonfiction, but so beautiful.

Allison said...

i meant ehrlich

Aly said...

I am planning on reading My Antonia. Did you like it? It has been on my list for a while. And Allison is right. I loved the Solace of Open Spaces in Reeve's class too. It was so beautiful. I think it is about Wyoming. How comes The Remains of the Day?