Sunday, June 14, 2009

Ironman Boise











Yesterday my sister Emily, Joe, and I participated in Boise's second annual Ironman Triathlon. A 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run. Pretty grueling in itself, but at around 3 o'clock that afternoon it started to rain and did not stop until around 8 o'clock that night. Drenched and fatigued we all finished what we had set out to do: volunteer at an aid station providing power gels, water, oranges, and bananas to the runners! We did get praised by one runner as "the best aid station on the course," most likely due to our zealous cheering and willingness to look silly at times. After about two hours of holding out wet bananas and gels we made our way to the finish line to watch people finish. It was so exciting to see everybody come in. We were surprised by a lot of the athletes who definitely did not look like a stereotypical triathlete. Those finishers were inspirational. Emily and I definitely got bit by the Ironman bug last night, and have been talking about training for one ever since!

4 comments:

Aly said...

Hey! My brother and his family were there yesterday to do the race too. How great is that! What a good supporter you are.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

WOW!! That's awesome... you should train Shawn and me :)
We really want to do this!!!

Stephanie said...

You look like a real iron woman holding that banana...
I'm coming to Boise at the end of June, "let's get together...ya ya ya!"

Jessie Lewis said...

How fun. An Ironman would be the ULTIMATE accomplishment. If I finished one, I think I would call it good on working out for the rest of my life.