Thursday, March 12, 2009

Twenty-Seven

I recently turned 27. I had a great birthday. My sister Clare came up for a visit, and I got to spend some time with her, Joe, and the kids.

Here we are feeding the birds at Matthew's Beach on Lake Washington. Hayes and Madison ate a lot of the bread themselves, rather than give it all to the birds!

27. I am getting old! I decided to make 27 goals or resolutions for my 27th year. Here they are:

  1. Run a half-marathon (I still totally need to sign up!)
  2. Start really using my reusable grocery bags instead of paper or plastic.
  3. Stick to my budget.
  4. Learn how to do something crafty like sew or knit (this will at least make my mom laugh).
  5. Go to the Lavender Festival in Sequim.
  6. Run a mile in nine minutes at least once (this will actually be hard, because I am incredibly slow).
  7. Go on at least one day hike in Western Washington.
  8. Refinish at least one piece of furniture. All of them do need to be refinished so this will be a good start.
  9. Take the bus somewhere by myself with the kids!
  10. Apply to grad school...and get in!
  11. Go green on my cleaning products, I am actually almost there.
  12. Go to the Tulip Festival in Skagit Valley.
  13. Read the Solace of Open Spaces by Gretel Ehrlich. This has been on my list forever.
  14. Sign up for a CSA program in Seattle. I always read about it in the Seattle PI.
  15. Save up for my mountain bike.
  16. Get the kids more outside time on the rainy days, and conquer my fear of the cold and rain.
  17. Start lifting weights again for my wimpy arms.
  18. Potty-train Hayes (not looking forward to this one).
  19. Take advantage of more of the great classes and programs for kids through Seattle Parks and Rec.
  20. Go kayaking/canoeing on Lake Washington.
  21. Do some more scrapbooking. I like it, but it has definitely been a long time since I have done it.
  22. Plan a trip to New Mexico and Arizona. I have really wanted to head down there for the last couple of years. I just need to make a plan and do it!
  23. Make some jam when blackberry season starts.
  24. Visit Mt. Rainier. I love Mt. Rainier!
  25. Attend at least one first Thursday at a Seattle museum (free night).
  26. Work harder on all of the tasks I have assigned to myself in the department of emergency preparedness.
  27. Get one of my brothers and sisters a spouse so that I can be an aunt before I am thirty!

I am looking forward to checking some things off the list!








7 comments:

Allison said...

yay! i love your list - it's going to be a good year. i'll come go to the lavender festival with you! seriously!

Emmers said...

Make sure my spouse is a road biker, wants to be the stay at home dad, and will somehow make a million dollars a year. thanks. kisses.

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!


Are you really going to grad school? What for? graduate. school. SUCKS!!!

Aly said...

Happy Birthday! Great list. I thought of a great hike the other day that you should totally do. I can't remember where it is or what it is called (huge help!) but it is through gorgeous forests and then you end up at the natural rock waterslide. SO MUCH FUN. Can't wait to see you in a few days! Thanks for helping me check some stuff off of my list.

Melissa said...

What a cool list!! I love the idea of doing that, plus I totally am with you on a few of those... especially the running ones! Also, I think we should swap kid-sitting and get out on kayaking dates!

Clare said...

To combat emily, make sure my spouse wants me to be the stay at home mom, makes a million and golfs.... and wants to name his children names of supirotiy spelling i know
but that was a fun time thanks girl!

Stephanie said...

Happy late birthday LauriAnn!
You have quite the list, that will be a busy and a fun year. I can't wait to attend a Mitch, or Emily, or Clare's wedding...I'll keep my calendar open all year...