Friday, October 24, 2008

Not My Strong Suit

So it isn't really a secret (I think) that being a good parent doesn't always come naturally, especially true in my case. My brother Mitch who is doing a master's in family and marriage therapy at Utah State recommended this book for me. I sat down and read about 70 pages yesterday, and then put some of the techniques to the test. Hayes hasn't been going to bed very well the last couple of days and will stay up with Joe and I until 11 or midnight. Kind of frustrating. So last night, I looked up bedtime in the index, and followed the instructions explicitly, letting Hayes read in his bed with the light on until I came up stairs later and he was fast asleep. Nice! Rarely do things I read in books work out this well for me! The book endorses letting your kids make choices (based on their different ability levels) and face the consequences of their choices so that they gain self-respect and learn how to make decisions at a young age. If you experiencing power-struggles and tantrums, Love and Logic is worth checking out. I have already avoided two Madison Freak-Outs and one Hayes Melt-Down.

2 comments:

Aly said...

Sounds like something I could use for sure. Some of the parenting books out there are so not my style, but this sounds like something I could use. Hey, thank you so much for the book. I am SO excited to read it. It has been on my list for a long time, so it is perfect!

Stephanie said...

I actually studied the Love & Logic theory at BYU. It works for 5th graders having tantrums at school too. I loved it!